Sunday, August 27, 2017

My first Ultra Marathon - Gunung Nuang Ultra, Feb 2017




This story started when I got to have a colleague who loves doing outdoor activities. She introduced me to her group of friends who do hiking and running. 

That's how my chapter of life gets to be more interesting. I started to challenge myself and have been routinely running for at least 5km a week which is different than what I usually do. 

They made me to develop new interests; hiking and trail running.

To cut the story short - That's how I signed up for a 50km trail run.

I had to prepare myself mentally and physically for the run. Thus, I have hike hills and do runs

Trust me, I have a very bad stamina, but I know that I can endure it.

We had to camp there as the event started at 7am.

I did not know what to expect.

The route was actually a loop of 10km. Meaning to say that, after you have reached Loloq which is 5km from the starting point you have to turn back, another 5km.

My friends said that you will feel the mental pressure when you are at your 20 km into the run.

However, I felt it when I was doing my 10km ~ 15km.

It was mind-bogging, but I endured it.

The elevation was ups and downs. You have to know when to run and when to run. It was fun but hell, tiring.

During my "run" on 20km onwards, I actually was looking forward to do my 30km already, which was the 3rd loop.

I tried to make a habit of smiling at people, and at the end of the race, my friends commented that people will think I am crazy. 

Anyway, loop 4th and 5th were a breeze. I walked most of the time anyway :P However, I managed to do it within 10 hours and 22 minutes, while the cut off time is 12 hours.

I am happy that I finished it, and aiming to do 6th loop next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment